MADE IN PALO ALTO SEO BLOG BY ARDAN MICHAEL BLUM. STARTED OCTOBER 17th, 2017.
Search Engine Optimization Basics Reviewed:
1) The time that a visitor spends on your pages is vital. Everything that you do should push towards LONGER average user visits. Aim for at least 4 minutes for a new user and do so by using good navigation, nice design and showing LOVE for your content. Of all the proposed steps the only one that REALLY matters is PROVING to your reading audience (robots and humans) that your site is an AUTHORITY on the given topic you have chosen.
2) Your site MUST propose ORIGINAL and quality content. The VOLUME / content must EXPAND on a weekly basis over years. Make sure to have at least 800 words (per post or new page) which aim to become an authority on the given topic and/or keywords you are aiming to rank for.
4) If you wish to index well a blog make sure to have a working sitemap. And robot.txt commands. Use Google Search Console and update manually your sitemap on each new post. Learn how Google discovers, crawls, and serves web pages. Further reading on: searchenginewatch.com
5) Disavow backlinks (This would apply to a new site that was previously owned or to an old site that has gotten some bad inbound links).
6) Work on your title and description (and optionally keyword meta tag). To do this well STUDY what other quality firms do. See WHICH keywords they target. Think of HOW their work compares to your goals and optimize the text for CLICKS by making good sentence structures and not stuffing keywords.
9) Create a folder structure of AT MOST 3 folders deep.
10) Think of your website or blog as a CONSTANT WORK IN PROGRESS and never stop adding content.
11) Optimize for mobile view and touch.
12) Get ready to be an authority on your subject and POST ABOUT YOUR WORK and passion, or about your niche market product ON SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS THAT ARE NOT YOUR OWN.
13) Use Pinterest. But do not optimize Pinterest too well as Pinterest will rank above you.
14) Seek out newspapers and university websites that might wish to speak about your projects or products. Get them to link to your home page from the name of the product not the site name.
16) Set canonical URLs for your pages.
17) Make your site MOBILE FRIENDLY. (This MAY CHANGE over time).
18) Check the loading time speed. (This MAY CHANGE over time).
19) Get your site into https. Make good URLs that avoid words like “and” or non essential information.
20) Time to find some more good inbound links
21) Re-check your sites for good meta tags
22) Structure your text to have ONE H1 tag and make that H1 tag contain your keyword. Use anchor tags, comment tags, and most of all good sub-section (H2 and H3) tags. You should also use BOLD and write in bullet lists when possible.
23) Use a few good PING services to update the web on your new posts. This means also linking to your new content from Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites.
24) Time to take a coffee break. Ok. Now: Link building is now your task! A few rules: Do not link to a friend in exchange of a link back to your site. Do not purchase links. Do not stress out about links either. What matters most is not the number of links but the placement (middle of a text) with the right keyword on the link pointing to your site from a quality site. Try to get newspaper articles and .edu sites to mention you. And be patient. Write down ALL the inbound link sources. Aim for 2 per week.
25) MOTIVATION IS IMPORTANT! Think of SEO as “So, … early (I go) onwards”. In other words. Wake early. Make the time. Keep producing content. Show the LOVE. Get results that impress YOU before they impress clients and HOLD your results over time.
– Do not assume that this is a full list. It is not. There are LOTS of tweaks.
Feedback: Contact me.